Highland Capital Management in a nutshell

Highland capital management, L.P. when put together with its partners has nearly $14.9 billion worth of properties under management. The company was established in 1993 by two visionaries, James Dondero and Mark Okada. Presently, the firm has grown to be a major and most well-informed global alternative credit leader. It is a SEC-registered investment adviser that has headquarters in Dallas, Texas and a network of workplaces in Sao Paulo, Seoul, New York and Singapore.


The firm concentrates in credit plans, including long-only funds and distinct accounts, distressed and special situations private equity, collateralized loan obligations (CLOs), and credit hedge funds. The company offers alternative investments, like natural resources, emerging markets, and long or short equities. It has a diversified client base that is comprised of foundations, corporations, public pension plans, financial institutions, high net worth individuals and governments.


History of the company

The company started as a joint venture of the two partners with Protective Life Insurance Corporation. The partners owned only 40% and Protective Life the other 60%. Back then, the venture focused on secure markets, comprising the management of senior secured bank credits. Later, the venture changed into Protective Asset Management Company (PAMCO) in 1993 and in 1997 the partners bought Protective Life’s stake. The two then formed Ranger Asset Management, L.P. to be an independent consultant registered with SEC. The company transformed to Highland Capital Management, L.P. an year after. The company has had a successful journey under the management of the two partners, seeing the launch of Commingled Bank loan fund and an establishment of alternative invest 40 Act in 2000.


Philosophy of the company

The company strives to harvest consistent and beyond average earnings by applying principles of investing that have been tested over time. It focuses on strategies and asset classes where there is a need to add significant value to the investor. This is done through the provision of access to an asset class, expertise, and skills to the investment process. The companies philosophy is based the following principles:

  • Bold
  • Experience
  • Disciplined


The company has a strong sense of community and social responsibility. It not only invests in financial markets but also in the community of hardworking and committed employees who strive to make a difference.

1 thought on “Highland Capital Management in a nutshell”

  1. Calling on the very important people in the company is not easy and I think that we have a responsibility to have good plans as well. It will be good for rush essay login to allow something to be done that will have a great interest as well. I think the knowledge that we can know somebody at some personal level and I think ding the right thing will be great.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *